Teacher Training: SAA Requirements
In this section:
The Atlanta Suzuki Institute is thrilled to offer teacher training opportunities with renowned SAA Teacher Trainers from across the United States. ASI is the perfect place to learn about the Suzuki approach and philosophy for the first time, or to hone and expand your teaching skills.
Teachers enrolled in training must be at least 18 years old, have a high school diploma, and be an active member of the SAA. Teachers may enroll as participants or auditors. To qualify as a participant, teachers must pass an audition submitted to the SAA. Participants who successfully complete a course will have the training registered with the SAA. Auditions are not required for auditors, nor will training be registered with the SAA.
Requirements for taking teacher training courses:
• Submit a teacher training video audition at least 8 weeks prior to the start of Book 1 training (more details here)
• Become an active SAA member (not required for Every Child Can!)
• Be 18 or older
• Have a high school diploma
• Every Child Can! (ECC) must be taken prior to any Book 1 training
• Training for Books 1, 2, and 3 must be completed in order. Subsequent books can be studied in any order.
• All teacher training participants are expected to prepare the music in the book(s) to be studied to the point of fluency - preferably memorized.
• All participants should bring their instrument as well as the Suzuki book, and a notebook, or note-taking device to class. Students will be expected to perform in class.
• 100% attendance is required in order to register the course with the SAA.
• Videotaping is generally not allowed in class.
• May 1 is the registration deadline for teacher training course participants. Space is limited, so registrations received after May 1 will be accepted only if space is available. Late fees will apply.
• All teacher training participants should be conversant with the ideas presented in Dr. Suzuki’s book Nurtured by Love.
The schedule for teacher training courses is intense. In addition to the required class time, and observation time, there will be optional evening activities, as well as parent lectures, and much more to see, hear, and do. It is not advisable to schedule other activities during the teacher training dates.